Brendt's Bloomin' Blog

In Which Brendt commits to electrons the things that spill out of his head

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

God love 'em

My grandmother has an expression that she uses -- "God love 'em". Sometimes she uses it in sympathy ("Joe's been sick lately, God love him"), sometimes in gratitude ("Mary was very encouraging to me, God love her") and in other manners, too. I don't remember her not using that phrase in my 38 years on this planet.

Sometimes when you hear something often, you don't really hear it. Such is the case here. Recently, the profundity of that phrase hit me like a hammer:

God love 'em

What greater desire could we express for another person, no matter what their circumstance or standing, than for God's love to rain down on them?

Thanks for the lesson, Nana. God love ya.