Brendt's Bloomin' Blog

In Which Brendt commits to electrons the things that spill out of his head

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Did you know...?

I turned 18 in late November of 1984.

I'll wait while you do the math to figure out how old I am now.

OK, done?

In the fall of 1984, I was a freshman in college, living with 5 other guys in a house near campus. We hosted an election party for a bunch of friends the night of the election, with 3 TVs going at once -- one on each of the 3 networks -- yes, there were only 3 back then -- to watch the returns.

OK, now remember how I said that I turned 18 in late November 1984? I was only 17 at the time of the election, and therefore ineligible to vote. Regardless of this detail, my roommates (all older than me) said in a horrified tone to everyone that came in the house that night, "Did you know that Brendt didn't vote for Reagan?"