Brendt's Bloomin' Blog

In Which Brendt commits to electrons the things that spill out of his head

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Self-definition

In Western culture, men usually define themselves by what they do. The question "Who are you?" is often answered with one's occupation, or maybe even avocation. At some point, I realized the folly of this, and when filling out online profiles and such, under "Job", I'd put "I have a job, but if doesn't define me." That was all well and good, but I realized after a while that I didn't really know what did define me.

In his recording of the Gospel, John refers to himself in the third person, as "the disciple Jesus loved". I used to think that this was just a form of modesty, or a desire to be accurate without shining the light on himself. But perhaps it was more. Perhaps this was what defined John.

And perhaps, this is what should define me, too.