Brendt's Bloomin' Blog

In Which Brendt commits to electrons the things that spill out of his head

Friday, April 29, 2005

Oh, I'm old

I was born in 1966 -- I'll wait while you do the math. Spent my first 12 years in and around Philadelphia before we moved to Atlanta. When I was about 16, we went back up to Philly for a visit. My cousin Keith (about 18 months younger) and I were shooting hoops in his driveway one evening when our fathers came out and challenged us to a game. We accepted, thinking, "we'll wipe up the court with these old men".

We lost 10-1. The 1 came because, one time, I put up a shot as soon as we got the ball. After the game, we remembered that our dads (who are brothers) incessantly played basketball together growing up. They could've been blind-folded and still would have each known where the other was.

Keith lives in Kansas City now. We were chatting online the other night, and were reminiscing about that game, when it occured to me:

I am the age now that my dad (one of the "old men") was then!

Time for my Geritol.